Entrust your smile to Marietta’s Award-Winning Oral Sedation Dentist. The look you want without the pain.
For a FREE Consultation or second opinion, fill out our form or call at (770) 578-1331!
Enter your information below to get started.
Are you afraid of the dentist? You are not alone. Research shows between 30% to 50% of the population of the United States avoids going to the dentist due to fear.
At Shallowford Dental, we’ve built our practice by treating many patients who have had:
- Bad Dental Experiences
- Problems getting Numb
- Advanced Dental Problems
- Neglected Teeth and/or No Dental Treatment for many years
We explain everything to you, so you can take charge of your dental health. With sedation dentistry, we now have a way for treatment to be accomplished in minimal visits, with no pain, and little memory of the experience.
Why Consider Oral Sedation Dentistry?
We don’t believe that dentistry should be scary or fear-inducing, however many patients have a high level of anxiety about going to the dentist, Dr. Patel included, that’s why he understands how patients feel and knows how to take care of you. For those patients, sedation dentistry is a way to manage their oral health while managing their fears at the same time.
Other candidates for sedation dentistry include patients with sensitive teeth, patients who do not tolerate pain well, or those who have a large amount of dental work to complete. Because patients are more comfortable under sedation, it is often possible to handle in one visit what would otherwise require multiple trips to the dentist’s office with oral sedation.
Dentists who perform dentistry while patients are under sedation have been trained to use sedation techniques appropriately, which includes only using the necessary level of medication to sedate a patient. While there is always a risk any time a patient undergoes any type of sedation, you can relax knowing that sedation dentistry procedures are commonplace. Your dentist will ask you questions about your medical history and will monitor your vital signs throughout your dental visit. We want you to be as comfortable as possible.
What is Sedation Dentistry?
The term “sedation dentistry” really refers to several different types, or levels, of sedation. These include:
- Inhaled (minimal) sedation. Many people are familiar with getting “laughing gas” at the dentist to calm nerves. You breathe in nitrous oxide through a mask, which helps many people calm down enough so that dental work is no longer scary. Nitrous oxide wears off quickly and most patients are able to drive again within a short time of their appointment.
- Oral (moderate) sedation. With oral sedation, you will take a pill similar to Valium. While you will be sleepy after taking the pill, you will probably remain awake, although some patients do fall asleep under oral sedation. You will probably not remember much about your appointment at all afterwards, and you will need a responsible adult with you who can drive you home and monitor you until you recover. Recovery time is minimal, and most patients are able to return to work the day after their appointment.
- IV (moderate) sedation. This type of sedation results in essentially the same level of sedation as oral sedation, so you will be sleepy and will not remember your appointment very well. Because the medication is administered intravenously, it takes effect very quickly. This allow allows the dentist to make adjustments as needed to your medication level.
- Deep sedation. Occasionally, patients need general anesthesia for dental work. This is the same type of anesthesia patients receive for surgical procedures, so patients are unconscious until the medication wears off. This type of sedation is typically not performed in dental offices.
- Sedation Dentistry: Can You Really Relax in the Dentist’s Chair?
- Guidelines for the Use of Sedation and General Anesthesia by Dentists
- Oral Sedation Dentistry
Patient Experiences Videos
Shallowford Dental Sedation Options: A Remedy for Fear.
With more than 30% of the general population avoiding the dental care they need to to fear, Shallowford Dental provides the remedy: great sedation options at an affordable price. Easily accessible to Woodstock, Marietta and Roswell, Shallowford Dental offers multiple services to meet all of your dental needs in our convenient location. Our award-winning dentist Dr. Sanjay Patel believes that oral health is absolutely essential and that you should be able to have it without the pain and fear that can sometimes accompany dental work. Get the care you need today at Shallowford Dental.
We have built our practice by treating many patients who have had bad dental experiences, advanced dental problems, problems getting numb, neglected teeth, and fear of the dentist, leading to no dental treatment for many years. With oral sedation dentistry, we now have a way for treatment to be accomplished in minimal visits, with no pain, and little memory of the experience.
We encourage you to read over this page and fill out our form or call in at (770) 578-1331 and schedule your FREE consultation. Our medical team is ready to assist you, so call us if you have any questions you need answered.
Come experience for yourself why Shallowford Dental is the sedation dentist Marietta residents choose when they need a little help getting more comfortable in the dentist’s chair.
|We explain all options to you so you can take charge of your dental health. With sedation dentistry, we now have a way for treatment to be accomplished in minimal visits, with no pain, and little memory of the experience.|
- Basic & Advanced Dental Care
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Dental Implants
- Migraine Prevention
- Sedation Dentistry
- TMJ / TMD Treatments
- Teeth Whitening
“Everybody’s wonderful. Dr. Patel – you just don’t get a nicer person.”
– Marie Hutson, Shallowford Dental Patient